DKU Textbook Policy for 2019 Fall semester
Duke Kunshan University Library
Duke Kunshan University is an e-preferred campus. The majority of textbooks will be purchased in eBook format according to price and availability from the publishers. eBooks can be read on a variety of devices and operating systems, and support is available for students to ensure they have access to their textbooks each session.
Please note: this policy is subject to change. Any changes will be communicated accordingly.
Categories: Required and Recommended
There are two categories of DKU course textbooks:
- Required: students are required to purchase through the university.
- Recommended: optional readings recommended by the instructor. Students are not required to purchase.
It is mandatory for students to have one copy of each required book of the enrolled courses.
Textbooks will be available in one of four formats:
- eBook from the Publisher
- eBook for Kindle reader or app (available for all devices. Kindle device not required)
- eBook from DKU Library
- Print textbook
- The textbook format is dependent on availability and price.
- If DKU Library is able to purchase a multi-user eBook version of a textbook, students will not be required to purchase that textbook.
- Print textbooks will only be purchased where eBook versions are not available.
- Some courses may have other requirements such as external hard drives, model kits etc. These are purchased and distributed in the same way as textbooks, and the following procedures and policies apply.
- The university will purchase all required textbooks through authorized book dealers and distribute the textbooks to students registered in a course.
- The textbook fee will be deducted from the student’s prepaid textbook fee.
- Students should not buy any required textbooks directly on their own.
- Students are free to buy a print copy of an eBook on their own, but that will be in addition to the e-copy purchased through DKU.
- DKU library will have two copies of each recommended textbook on Course Reserve (see Library Course Reserve section below).
- Students are free to buy any of the recommended textbooks directly on their own.
Price & Payment
- The textbook fee is for the required textbooks used in the courses students enroll in, and it is comprised of several parts, such as book price, import fee, freight charge, tax, etc. The university does not make any profit from of the purchase.
- The textbook fee will be charged to the student account and be deducted from the student’s prepaid textbook fee.
- All textbooks (except those for language courses) will be distributed after the Drop/Add period.
- All reading materials for the first week of class (i.e. before the Drop/Add period and before textbooks are distributed) will be made available on the course site in Sakai.
- In rare cases, course instructors may require that textbooks be distributed for their courses before the Drop/Add period. In these cases, alternative textbook distribution information will be shared with enrolled students directly.
- Information about accessing eBooks and collecting print textbooks will be distributed by email.
- Information about distribution of textbooks for language courses will be communicated to students in class.
- In most cases, students taking courses with the same textbook as a pre-requisite course do not need to purchase the textbook again.
- Instructions for accessing eBook versions of textbooks will be shared at the time of distribution. Students should monitor their DKU email address for notifications.
- DKU Library staff are available throughout the semester to help students troubleshoot access issues.
Library Course Reserve
- DKU Library provides two print copies of each required and recommended textbook listed in the course syllabus in Course Reserve.
- Course Reserve books can be borrowed for three hours. The short-term loan ensures more students can access the book throughout the session.
- Course Reserve books are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Course Reserve is not a substitute for students purchasing textbooks.
For any enquiries about textbooks, send an email to email@example.com.