MMS: DKU Application Instructions
Before beginning the application process, consider carefully which program you wish to apply to - the MMS: Duke Kunshan University program (MMS: DKU) or the MMS: Foundations of Business program (MMS: FOB). Do your research and reflect upon which program best fits your career goals. Visit our Admissions webpage for further information and compare the two MMS programs here. Be sure to also review our Admissions Criteria page to determine your academic eligibility and your fit for the MMS: DKU program.
Below you will find detailed instructions about how to apply to the MMS: DKU program. We appreciate your attention to ensuring your application package is complete, because only complete application packages will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. If you still have questions after reviewing the information below, please contact us.
MMS: DKU Online Application
The online application includes sections on personal information and program information. The application asks for educational background, transcripts, a business resume, essays, among other information.
- The application and recommendations can only be submitted online.
- You will need to create a user ID and password to access the system.
- Detailed instructions are available in the online system.
- You may access the application as many times as you like before submitting it.
- Your application will not be evaluated until you submit it and all supporting materials are received and verified.
- You may only apply to one round in a given admissions cycle.
- Legible, scanned copies of all transcripts are required for each college or university you have attended.
- Each course taken and the grade received must be listed on the transcript(s).
- Your name, the name of the institution, the "degree received" and "date conferred" must be clearly visible on your transcripts. If you have not yet graduated, these will be listed as "expected degree received" and "expected date conferred."
- If you have graduated, and your transcript(s) do not state the degree and date conferred, also upload a copy of your diploma in addition to the transcript.
- Self-reported transcripts are not accepted.
When to Submit Official Transcripts
If you are accepted into the MMS: Duke Kunshan University program, you must then submit official transcript(s) and translations (if applicable) from each college or university you attended. These copies must be received in conjunction with your tuition deposit at the designated deadline for your application round.
To complete this requirement, you may send an electronic copy of your official transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org from each college or university you attended. Or, you may elect to have hard copies sent in a sealed envelope directly from each college or university you attended to the address below:
The Fuqua School of Business
Office of Admissions
100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120
Durham, NC 27708-0120
Failure to submit official transcripts on time, or any misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of information, is grounds for automatic revocation of any offer of admission and financial assistance.
Refer to the "Transcript Request Form" in the "downloadable forms" section on the online application. This form may be sent to the registrar of each college or university you've attended. This form is not part of the official application; it's simply provided to assist you in obtaining required information for your application.
Essays & Short Answer Questions
Each MMS: DKU student brings a unique perspective to the program. The Admissions Committee wants to learn more about both your personal and professional motivations, and how you plan to contribute to the diversity of perspectives in your class. Respond to the following application questions and essays to allow us to get to know you better.
3 short answer questions and 2 essays are required for all applicants.
Required Short Answer Questions
Answer all three questions, responding in 500 characters only (the equivalent of about 100 words per question).
- Why are you pursuing the MMS: DKU degree at this stage in your professional development?
- What are your immediate career goals after completing the MMS: DKU program?
- Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the immediate goals that you provided above not materialize, what alternative directions have you considered?
In addition to these three short answer questions, all applicants must submit two required essays. You also have the option to complete a scholarship essay, as well as an optional essay that supplies additional information the application may not cover. Refer to the Application Essays page for more details and to see the specific questions MMS: DKU applicants must address in these essays.
MMS: DKU applicants must supply a one page business resume, including employment information for volunteer work, internships and full- or part-time work experience. For each, include the location, title, date and responsibilities, starting with your most recent position. The education portion of your resume should include dates of attendance and degrees received from each institution.
Letters of Recommendation
Two recommendations are required to complete your application. Your recommenders must complete the online recommendation forms associated with the application. Recommenders must also submit a one-page letter (uploaded with the online recommendation form) that highlights:
- Your interpersonal skills (e.g. effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment)
- Your potential areas for improvement or growth
One recommendation should reflect your performance in a professional setting — a job, internship, volunteer activity or other service-oriented role. Another recommendation should reflect your performance in an academic setting, and could come from someone such as a former professor.
Keep in mind that submissions by email or mail are NOT accepted, and recommendations from relatives and friends are strongly discouraged. Use your recommenders' work email addresses — rather than personal accounts like Gmail, Sina, 163.net or Yahoo — which will be more closely monitored in our credentials verification process.
Submission of GMAT or GRE Scores
To apply for the MMS: DKU program, you must take either the GMAT or GRE and have your scores sent directly to the Admissions office. We will accept scores up to five years old, and there is no minimum score requirement. However, if you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam before submitting your application. If you take the exam multiple times, only report your highest score and any sub-scores from the same testing date. Your application will not be considered complete until we receive your official GMAT or GRE scores from the testing center.
If you choose to take the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT):
- Use Duke program code Q13-N5-62
- Remember that scores may take approximately 20 days to reach our office, so please plan your test date accordingly
- Check here for information on registering and sending scores
If you choose to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE):
- Use Duke program code 5156
- Remember that scores may take four to six weeks to reach our office, so please plan your test date accordingly
- Check here for information on registering and sending scores
Students in the Master of Management Studies: Duke Kunshan University program have the opportunity to study in both the US and China as they gain valuable business knowledge and career development skills. Interested in learning more? Contact us with any questions, or begin applying today!