Visa info & Q&A | Duke Kunshan University

Visa info & Q&A

Student Visa

Once admitted, you will receive the university’s letter of admission/ Admission Notices and JW202 form.

The Process of Applying for JW 202 Form:

  1. Step one – Visa Information Collection, fill out the Qualtrics Survey through the link
  2. Step two – MOE (Minister of Education) Online Visa System Online Assessment
  3. Step three – Issue Physical Copy of JW 202 Form
  4. Step four – Mail JW 202 Form
  5. Step five – Apply for visa at embassy or consulate in your country


  • Please make sure to provide the accurate answer to each question. Applicants take the full responsibility of the information they provide. Fail to do so, the process of obtaining JW 202 form will be delayed and the application shall take the responsibilities themselves.
  • All the information will be sent to MOE (Ministry of Education) Online Visa System for review. Please note that the review process will take up to three weeks (the timeline will change) to be processed according to MOE (Ministry of Education). MOE (Ministry of Education) may require further information afterwards accordingly.
  • Please make sure that keep checking your email address for any updates.
  • Once the online review is done, Student Affairs Office will mail JW 202 form to JED (Jiangsu Education Department) to get official chop. This process will take up to 2 weeks.
  • Student Affair Office will send the physical copies of JW 202 form and admission notice (issued by International Enrollment Office) through FEDEX (this may change later).
  • Please provide the correct mailing address and contact number to avoid any delivery delays.

About X1/X2 Visa

The applicant can apply for X1 or X2 visa at Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in your home country.

When applying for your visa, please remember to take along with you your  valid passport, the original copy of the university’s admission notice and a Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202 form).

Do make sure that your letter of admission and your JW202 form is handed back to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will need these documents to apply for your Residence Permit after your arrival at the university.

International Students who will be studying in China must possess ordinary passports with study visa (Category X). The students who enter into China with the other kinds of visas can not study at Duke Kunshan University or get residence permit.


It is highly recommended for you to renew your passport up until your graduate year if possible/situation, which should be May in 2022 and 2023.

The Student Visa ‘X1’ Visa will only be valid for 30 days after your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit within these 30 days in order to obtain a legal status in China at Kunshan Entry & Exit Bureau.
Furthermore, you are not eligible to apply for a Residence Permit until you are a registered student of Duke Kunshan University, namely before the day of registration.

How to Apply for your Visa

  1. You may submit the application to the consular office of the Chinese Embassies or Consulates in person in your home country prior to your departure.
  2. You may entrust someone else (e.g. friends, relatives), a travel agency or a visa agency to act on your behalf if you can't come personally. Power of attorney is not required.
  3. Mailed applications are not accepted by most of Chinese embassies or consulates.
  4. Appointment is not required by most embassies and consulates.

Useful link:

Chinese Embassy:

Chinese Consulates General:

Chinese Visa Application Service Center:

Processing Time

The regular processing time is 4 working days. If you want to collect your visa earlier, express service (2-3 working days) is available at an additional cost. Rush Service (for emergencies) will need 1 working day at an additional cost. Please check for these costs in advance.

Visa Fees

The fee for X is same as the fee for other types of Chinese visa. Generally speaking, Chinese embassies or consulates only issue single entry X to foreigners. Check the web page cost listings from your local Chinese embassies/consulates, or call their Visa Section for up-to date charges.

Residence Address Registration

You need to go for residence address registration in 24 hours after you enter China. If you live in a hotel, the hotel will do it for you. If you go directly on campus, Student Affairs Team will help you do that. But if you come to China earlier before the Check-in day, and you do not live in a hotel, such as living in your friend’s apartment, etc., you need to do it yourself. The basic procedure is to bring your passport to the nearest police station to your accommodation place.

Residence Permit

Residence Permit is equivalent to a multiple-entry visa which can be obtained by going to the Kunshan Municipal Administrative Services Center with all the requisite documents and fees. Your will receive a receipt from the Kunshan Municipal Administrative Services Center. Be sure to keep this receipt in a safe location. Residence Permit (or Visa Extension) will take 15 working days to process before your passport is returned to you. If you need to travel within China, the receipt issued to you may be used in lieu of your passport for hotel registration and similar purposes. You will be unable to travel outside China within these 15 days.

International students with study visa (Category X) shall apply for Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China. Late applicants will have to shoulder the responsibilities for the delay and overdue fine. The following documents are required for the application of the residence permit:

1) Valid passport;

2) Admission Notice;

3) Visa Application Form (JW202 or JW201);

4) Health Examination Record ( Issued by Jiangsu International Travel Healthcare Center Changshu/Suzhou Branch Center)

Notes: There will be six items, including Medicine, Surgery, Electronic Cardiogram, Ultrasonic, X-ray on your Chest, and Blood checking. For X ray Chest, if you have already done it in 3 months before you come to China, you need to bring the photo so that you do not need to do it again.

5) Residence Address Registration Form;

6) Application Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Services Office);

7) One Passport-sized photograph with white background (2-inch);

8) Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~1000RMB).

Frequently Asked Questions on Study Visa / Residence Permit for International Students

Chinese Visa

Q: For foreign students who intend to study in China, what type of visa is required? How to apply for this visa?


Foreign students who intend to study in China must apply for a student visa (X1 or X2 visa) from the Chinese consulate/embassy. For the application, you will be required to submit the Admission Notice from the university and the JW201 or JW202 Form.

Q: What is the difference between X1 and X2 visas?


For students who will be studying in China for a period of over 180 days (starting from the date stated in the Admission Notice), you will be issued X1 visa. The validity of X1 visa is 30 days and students will be required to apply for a Residence Permit through the school within 30 days of arrival in the country (e.g. arriving date in China: Sep 1st, a student should apply for residence permit before Sep 31st ).

For students who will be studying in China for a period of less than 180 days, you will be issued X2 visa. The validity of the X2 visa is between 30-180 days, and is usually only for a single entry. Once you have exited the country, you will not be able to enter the country again with the same visa.

Q: Will the X2 visa need to be converted to a student Residence Permit like X1 visa?


According to the regulations of Exit- entry bureau, overseas students who will study in China for more than 180 days can apply for residence permit. Students with X2 (study period less than 180 days) will not be allowed to change X2 visa to study Residence permit.

Q: If a student has obtained the X1 visa, can he/she enter China early to travel before reporting to school?


As a longer period of time is required for the first-time application of Residence Permit, and the validity of the X1 visa is only 30 days, we would highly recommend that students enter China 3 days before the school’s registering date, in order to avoid the hassle and extra cost for extending your visa.

Q: Can one study at Duke Kunshan University without having a student visa?


No. If foreigners are found to have engaged in activities that differ from the type of visa, he/she may face penalties such as Letter of Warning, fine, detention or deportation.

Q: Can Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan residents with Mainland Travel Permits study at Duke Kunshan University as foreign students?



Q: A person who has a Mainland Travel Permit, and at the same time is holder of a Canadian passport (or any other country’s passport, i.e. dual nationality). If he/she enters China using the Mainland Travel Permit and hence does not have an entrance stamp in his/her Canadian passport, will he/she be allowed to study at at Duke Kunshan University as a foreign student?


No, the university only recognizes the passport he/she uses for application into DKU as well as in the country.

Q: I entered China via visa-free entry/travel visa/family visitor visa, can I apply for the student Residence Permit?



Applying for Student Residence Permit

Q: What documents are required for new students applying for the Residence Permit for the first time?

  1. Valid passport;
  2. Admission Notice;
  3. Visa Application Form (JW202 or JW201);
  4. Health Examination Record ( Issued by Jiangsu International Travel Healthcare Center Changshu Branch Center)
  5. Temporary Accommodation Registration Form;
  6. Application Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Services Office);
  7. One Passport-sized photograph with white background(2-inch);
  8. Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~1000RMB).

Q: What documents are required for students who are already studying in the university, and need to extend or renew the Residence Permit?

  1. Valid passport;
  2. Temporary Accommodation Registration Form;
  3. Application Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Services Office);
  4. 1 Passport-sized photograph (2-inch);
  5. Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~1000 RMB).

Q: If a student’s parents are already in China, can they apply for Residence Permit together with the student? If yes, what is the validity of the Residence Permit?


This is allowed for the students’ parents、spouse or minor children. Family members must present an official document proving the relationship with the student (usually issued by the consulate, in Chinese) and obtain the official Introduction Letter. The validity of the Residence Permit is the same as the validity of the student’s Residence Permit.

Q: A student did his health check last year and his Residence Permit has expired. When applying for Residence Permit this year, does the student need to do the health check again?


If the Resident permit has expired within three months, the health check is not required.

Q: How long will the residence permit be valid? What is the duration of the Residence Permit that the student can apply for?


The duration can be until the date of end of study (but no longer than 5 years).However, it is up to Entry & Exit Bureau to issue the validity of your residence permit. Usually it’s the same as your program length or passport’s validity. For more specific enquires, please consult with local Entry & Exit Bureau.

Q: Can the validity of the Residence Permit be longer than the validity of the passport?


No. We would like to ask you to renew your passport and make sure it is valid through the year you graduate.

Q: A student’s period of study ends in May and the Residence Permit the school has given is valid until 31st May. However, the student wishes to travel around China beyond the date of expiration of the Residence Permit. Can the school issue a new Application Letter to allow the extension of the Permit for one month?


As the semester usually ends at the start of May, the university has already considered the needs of students and have the Residence Permit expire at the end of the month. The university will not issue a new Letter, but students can apply directly to local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau for a one-month Residence permit using your Certificate of Graduation and relevant documents.

Q: What happens if I lose my passport?


Please report the loss of your passport to the Kunshan Exit-Entry Administration Bureau and contact your country's consulate to apply for a new passport.

Q: What should I do if I have changed my passport?


You will have to complete police registration again with the local police station (address登云路288号海创大厦2楼46/47窗口,Counter 46/47 Haichuang Building, No.288 Dengyun Road) and Send a new copies of your new passport to to register your new passport details, obtain a new Application Letter, and go to the 昆山Exit-Entry Administration Bureau (address: Counter 77/78, Building A2, No.1801, West Qianjin Road) within 10 days.

Q: A student plans to withdraw or apply for Leave of Absence (LOA) of his study at Duke Kunshan University, but he holds a residence permit valid for a long period. What does he need to do?


He should obtain an Application Letter to have his residence permit cancelled at the Kunshan Exit-Entry Administration Bureau before he leaves DKU. Otherwise, we’ll report him to the Kunshan Exit-Entry Administration Bureau and he’ll bear all the consequences.

Notice for International Students Engaging in Off-campus Internships

Q: What are the materials that have to be prepared for international students to apply for off-campus internship residence permit?

  1. Passport
  2. The copies of passport (Information Pages, Resident Permit/Visa Pages, the latest Entrance Seal Pages)
  3. 2 color photos of 2 inches (Students can take one in the Exit-Entry Bureau on own expenses.)
  4. Offer Letter of the Internship (Provided by Career Service Office)
  5. Proof of Off-campus Internship for International Students (Provided by Career Service Office)
  6. 400 to 1000 RMB Wechat or card payment ready
  7. Resident Permit Application Form (Provided by Student Affairs Office or Obtained at the Entry & Exit Office)
  8. Application letter with DKU seal (Provided by Student Affairs Office)
  9. Accommodation Registration Form if the student has left mainland China recently (Obtained at local police station upon arrival, location: police station near current residential place).

Q: When can I start my internship after submitting residence application for internship at the Entry & Exit Bureau?


Students can hand in their documents to the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau once they have all the documents ready. They would then have to wait for another week before obtaining approval. Students are to note that they are only allowed to begin their internship after obtaining approval from the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau.

Q: Are students allowed to engage in internships outside of Kunshan?


Yes, application procedures are the same as applying for internships in Kunshan. Holders of residence permit for internship can intern in cities outside Kunshan.

Extension of Visa and Residence Permit

International students should pay attention to the validity of their residence permits and entry visas and make proper arrangement for extensions if necessary. The overdue fines caused by expiration of validity of residence permits or entry visas should be born by offender.